Wednesday, February 17, 2021

My Favorite Razor(s) Change Slightly Over Time

 Currently my preferred shaving instrument is the double-open-comb (DOC) razor from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA).


If you want more information, click on the above link and search on DOC. If you choose to order anything from PAA, buy using the above link, your cost will not increase, but I will receive a small commission on your purchases.

Other razors that I keep at hand have changed over time as I revisit gear previously rejected. Currently, if I'm not using the mild-shaving DOC razor, I might pull out my 1965 Gillette Tech (which has a cast Zamak head rather than the brass head of earlier versions). I also might use my Lord LP1822L razor, which I declared my then favorite in the fall or early winter of 2020.

Less likely might be my 1963 Gillette adjustable or my Weishi adjustable.

The reason my preferences are like shifting sands in desert winds is, I think, because even though I've been shaving with DE razors for years, my technique continues to evolve.

Most importantly, my idea of the ideal daily shave has changed. Previously I always had in mind a baby-smooth outcome as the ideal goal. Much experience has told me that for my face, that's a fool's errand. Now I go for close enough with no skin injury or insult.

And for me, the DOC is great. I get a consistently close-enough shave but usually with little to no skin injury. I can't really say this about any other razor.

I hope that explains any confusion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorite Razor(s) Change Slightly Over Time

 Currently my preferred shaving instrument is the double-open-comb (DOC) razor from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA). If you want more in...